Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located?

Our office is located just off the corner of Seven Hills Road and Rt. 68 East of Butler, PA.  If you are coming from Butler on Rt. 68 East we are on the left, just past St. Joseph’s Church (with the white picket fence).  If you are coming from Chicora, North Oakland Drive is a few hundred yards from Gamelands Road.  We have a sign at the corner of our white sided office building.  If you pass our office, turn around in St. Joseph’s Church parking lot.


What should I bring with me to the tax appointment?

You should bring all tax-related documents provided to you by your employer(s), pension provider and/or social security administration, bank, credit union, stock broker, mortgage statements, childcare provider, etc.  These would include the W-2, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1098, paid property tax receipts, record of charitable contributions, etc. For a more complete list, please review our Tax Appointment Checklist and Questionnaire.


How long does it take?

We generally schedule one hour appointments.  In most cases, your tax return will be completed in that time.  Sometimes we will need more time due to the complexity of your return or we may need more information from you.  In those cases we will either schedule more time or we’ll let you know when the return is finished and ready for your signature.


How much does it cost to have you prepare my taxes?

That depends on the complexity of your tax situation.  Fees start at $95 which includes Federal, PA and Local tax returns.  We offer a discount for students tax return.  For students fees start at $45 which includes Federal, PA and Local tax returns. We accept cash, checks, Master Card, Visa and Discover credit cards.


Can I pay my taxes by credit card?

You can pay by PayPal or credit/debit  card here.


What other methods of payment are available?

Check or money order or direct debit payment from your checking or savings.


What if I can’t pay my taxes?

Payment plans can be setup.  The IRS directs taxpayers to their article, “Three Ways to Pay Your Taxes.”  One of the suggested methods is the installment agreement, which begins with the completion of IRS Form 9465.  The IRS must approve the installment agreement.  However, the IRS is not required to approve the installment agreement application.   The taxing agency will contact you.  They may need more information to determine whether they’ll grant your request.


What home improvements qualify for the energy tax credit?

The tax credits available for calendar year 2011 are significantly smaller than in the past two years.  Visit EnergyStar web site for details.


How can I get a copy of previously filed tax return?

If we prepared the tax return and you are a current client, we can supply you with a copy for the last 7 years.  If we did not prepare the return, fill out a Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.


How long should I keep various documents?  See here!


What is the standard mileage rate?

The 2011 standard mileage rates for the use of a vehicle are:


Purpose                                                                                   1/1 to 6/30      7/1 – 12/31


Miles driven for Business………………………………………………….  $0.51/mile      $0.555/mile

Miles driven for medical or moving purposes…………………..  $0.19/mile      $0.23/mile

Miles driven in service of charitable organizations…………..  $0.14/mile      $0.14/mile

Comments are closed.