What about…?

From time to time there are tax or business related issues that just don’t fit into one neat category, but are still relevant after filing your income tax return.  This type of information is posted below.


Do you need to file a federal tax return?  Check out the guidance document from the IRS.


Check out the Links page.  You may find just what you were looking for!  There are links to the IRS, PA Department of Revenue, the FAFSA website for yourself or college-bound offspring, and more.


Payroll Tax Cut to Boost Take-Home Pay for Most Workers;  New Withholding Details Now Available on IRS.gov.



Starting a new business?  The IRS has some tips for you.


On September 27, 2010 President Obama signed the Small Business Jobs Act, providing small business with tax breaks and better access to credit.


***If you are planning to replace your furnace, windows or doors, first find out what items qualify for the Federal Energy Credit by checking the U.S. EPA/U.S. Dept. of Energy “EnergyStar” web site.  For 2011, the credit is “10% of cost up to $500 or a specific amount from $50 to $300.”  This program is intended for energy-saving improvements made to an existing home which is also your principal residence.  Therefore, new constructions and rentals do not qualify.  And, only certain products qualify for the credit.  Check the web link before you buy!  The IRS reminds people who may be weatherizing their homes and who want to claim a credit for certain energy-efficient improvements, that “the manufacturer’s certification is different from the Department of Energy’s Energy Star label, and not all Energy Star labeled products qualify for the tax credits.”  (IR-2010-110, Nov. 9, 2010)


Energy credits for Geothermal Heat Pumps, Small Wind Turbines, and Solar Energy Systems, installed in ‘existing homes & new construction qualify.  Both principal residences and second homes qualify.  Rentals do not qualify.’  The expiration date of this credit is December 31, 2016.

Comments are closed.